Pages

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Day 32: Happy Independence Day (Observed)

A sparkler, blowing in the wind.

My favorite part of 4th of July fireworks is using the sparklers.  They're usually labeled as the kid's toys, but I always enjoy the quiet and pretty fireworks to the loud, screaming, blow-up-in-your-face fireworks.  Call me crazy.


A few years ago, I took my first photo of a sparkler in the fading light, and I loved the way it turned out so much that I've tried to replicate it every other holiday (July 24th is Sparkler approved as well).  Unfortunately, they never seem to turn out as well as that first shot.  At least not as I remember it.  I need to find it sometime and see if it's as cool as I recall.  Maybe my subsequent attempts aren't as bas as I perceive them to be.  

This most recent attempt isn't bad at all (I think)!  So I know that this isn't my typical photo.  It looks more like a cartoon than a photo, but I loved the way it turned out so much that I decided to keep this version.  You can see the more conservative version on my other blog, or on my Facebook page.  It was fun trying to find different uses for the sparklers, but hopefully on the 24th I'll be able to capture more fireworks shots than just my favorite sparklers. :)

3 comments:

  1. Sparklerz hold a special place in my heart too. I think they just remind us of being little...at least for me.
    This version of that already awesome shot it sooo koool! I want to name it...like purple power panic crackler! Hmmm...that's what came to mind. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sparklers too! Kim I think you are right that we love them because they take us back to being a little child and all the excitement. Val, correct me if I am wrong but is the picture you are referring to the one you took the 4th of July we moved to South Rim? Cause that was a freakin' awesome picture...I love this one too. Did you cross process it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, I love the name you picked for the picture! If I ever try to sell my stuff, I'll have you name the photos for me!

    Clare, That is totally the picture I was referring to! I looked it up after I posted this, and it's still way better. :( But I have something to improve on now. Also, I noticed on your facebook page that you figured out how to create the affect, so telling you that it was inverted instead of cross-processed is probably irrelevant now. :)

    Thanks for commenting guys!

    ReplyDelete