Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

Day 55: Don't Be Afraid

Mom's hospital wristband. (The little tease would not sit still for this shot)

I'm feeling very thankful tonight.  Mom had to get another angiogram (sp?) today, which turned into another angioplasty.  This is the second one in a year, and she seemed to just take it in stride this time.  But just because she kept saying tonight that it was such a breeze, it doesn't make me any less grateful for modern medicine and priesthood blessings.  Especially right now when my good friend just lost his father to a sudden heart condition.

We forget how fragile life really is until it's gone.  And even though I've gone thru plenty of intensive care moments mom over the years, and I've gotten used to worrying about whether she'll be alive to see my children, that doesn't mean I still don't worry too much whenever she's sick or in the hospital.

So tonight, I just want to remind everyone to love one another.  Don't waste your life with petty arguements or differences of opinion.  Tell your family you love them, serve them while you can, and don't put it off.  Also, be grateful for the little things.  Not only will it help you through the hard times, but it will make the good times even better.  You'll laugh more if you keep a positive attitude, and as my momma taught me, laughter is the best medicine.

As a closing thought, here's one of my favorite movie montages.  It's from Stranger Than Fiction, and I just love the words.

4 comments:

  1. OH VAL! I had a dream a few weeks ago about your wonderful Mother and felt like I really needed to stop by to see her and like I do so many times I brushed that feeling aside. I convinced myself that I would just be a bother and interfere with her day if I just dropped by to give her a hug and tell her that was thinking about her. I wish I wouldn't be so self conscious about showing my love to those who I truly do love, one day if I keep ignoring those promptings I wont get a second chance to say the things I want and need to say....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice picture Val. I really like it.

    And boy do family traits run deep. Her hand looks so like my mother's, and now mine - the arthritic knuckles even take the same turns. Gotta love genetics.

    Glad she is doing well. Tell her I love her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea, but am glad that so far she is recovering. I love this photo and it reminds me of the day I wanted to take a picture of her hand and her beautiful wedding ring...and she actually flipped me off! haaaaaa! I was like, "MOM!!! Did really just do that?" hahahh
    I love her dearly. I hope she gets enough rest this week and doesn't have to miss the family things.
    I love her...tell her or I'll call tomorrow.

    Ps. Everything you said is so true...and I was so thankful when you shared this video clip with me. ;)

    LOVE U!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this picture...especially because it has a happy ending. We love your mom, too, and hope she is getting better each day. :)

    ReplyDelete