Pages

Monday, July 12, 2010

Day 41: Painted Flowers

Flowers in my Mom's front yard (don't ask me what kind, because I don't have a clue).

I tried a few different shots for today's photo, but I wasn't super thrilled with any of them.  I have that problem quite often lately.  I do like how this one turned out though!  The flowers looked like a painting before I edited the photo, and I think they still do!  So pretty!

Now, for something completely different...

On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I'm supposed to take longer lunches at work to leave the office and do an online photo class I signed up for.  Lately I've been slacking off on my class (for mostly good reasons).  Today, I resolved to work on my class at lunch.  I made sure to take the time and leave even though it was busy.  I drove off feeling good that I was being responsible.  I first stopped to get some lunch and run an errand.  My next stop was Starbucks so that I could set up my laptop and use the free WiFi for my online class.  When I got to the Starbucks parking lot, it looked so crowded that I split, deciding to hit another hot spot to do my class.  But somehow I got sidetracked, and ended up parked at the end of an abandoned parking lot, deciding what to do next.  I was vacillating between going back to the office to hide in a conference room to work on my class, or staying in the parking lot to read my book in my car.

Guess which one I chose?

I felt slightly guilty lounging in the car reading my book, but not guilty enough to do anything about it.  Sure, it was hot and cramped, but I was already set in my decision and I hate going back on a decision - no matter how asinine.  Some people speak of the little thrill they get when they break the rules or lie, but I've never really experienced that. I only ever experience guilt, or fear.  Today, as I pushed my guilt down and tried to enjoy my book for my remaining 30 minutes of lunch, I was also battling my compulsion to stay on course with my new decision.  Because, not only was I feeling bad for not doing my class, but I was also extremely uncomfortable.  My face was turning a deeper and deeper crimson as the sun baked my little car and rendered my air conditioner (on full-blast) practically useless.  Also, I couldn't get into a comfortable, feet-up, position, stuck between the steering wheel and the e-brake.

So, even though my compulsion won out and I stayed reading in my car the remainder of my lunch, I returned to the office slightly the worse for wear.  My hair was frizzy and damp from sweat, and my cheeks stayed red the rest of the day.

OCD: 1     Valerie: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment