Pages

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day 50:

This wheat field is my elusive white whale.

I just spent the better part of an hour looking up the literary reference for synonyms to the white whale.  I know there's another word for it, but I can't remember what it is.

This field is slippery.  A phantom, a mirage.  Every morning I drive by it, and the wheat grows taller, and the sun glints off the golden stalks with such beauty.  But every morning I'm late for work so I can't make time to stop and walk to a good vantage point to take a few shots.  And if I'm not late, the sun is blocked by clouds, or the only good access road to the field is blocked, or...whatever.  No matter how many times I set my mind to take a picture of this field - properly - I am thwarted.  It is always just out of reach, unattainable.

The reason why I can only take a picture of it in the morning is because that's when the light is best.  Sunset is at the wrong angle, but sunrise is perfect.  Unfortunately, the window I have of getting that perfect amount of sun is so ephemeral, so fleeting, and always right in the middle of rush hour, that it's virtually impossible for me to ever get there at the right moment, not to mention getting close enough to get a good picture.

It's so frustrating!  But one day!  One day I'll get it!  Just hopefully before the farmer who owns the field, harvests the wheat.

3 comments:

  1. What are you talking about!? You got it! This is beautiful! Just as good as that one girls photo that hangs on your wall. I love it...it's wall worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't count this as capturing the shot because I...kind of tweaked it. The field was tiny in the original, so I added more of it with Photoshop to cover up the buildings in the background.

    ReplyDelete