Pages

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Day 91: Gifts That Keep On Giving

Flowers from our front garden.

This mother's day, all the women in our ward were given a small terra-cotta pot with a bag of assorted flower seeds. My mom and sister and I planted our seeds in our little pots, and soon the plants got too big for the pots.  So my dad moved them into our front yard garden.  Pretty soon, those little plants exploded into huge bushy things, and soon they began to sprout little pink flowers.  They were pretty, but too big, so today Dad dug them up and put the flowers in a vase for Mom to enjoy - along with some other flowers that grew too big for our little garden.

As I was taking pictures of the flowers tonight, I realized that even though we had to dig up our mother's day plants, they still lasted longer than any mother's day gift I've ever been given in the ward.  Usually we get candy bars or a single rose.  Both good gifts, but very temporary.  The flower pots gave us something more.  We got to watch the little seeds sprout and grow and become something beautiful.  It lasted months, and brought joy to all of us.  What a great present!

That's how the best presents should be.  Things that don't just last a day, but that continue to make the receiver happy.  The gifts that keep on giving.

1 comment:

  1. I've been catching up on your blog today...I love this entry! You are a true artist Val, I love your work...can't wait to see and read more! Also you are a very good writer

    ReplyDelete