Pages

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Day 77: Let Them Eat Cake!

The last piece.

So here's the story about the cake.  To avoid confusion, I'm going to change the names of some of my colleagues since two of them in this story have the same first name.

I bought a mini cake at Dippidee today to have one last hurrah before going back off sugar tomorrow.  I kept it on my desk most of the day, but finally caved and pulled it out to eat late afternoon.  Once I opened the box I realized, "mini" cake or not, it was too much for me to eat by myself.

I walked over to Todd's desk and asked if he wanted any of my left over cake.  Of course he said yes, so I cut a hefty portion of the cake for myself (one quarter of the entire cake), and handed the knife to Todd.  He took a large piece as well, but there was still half the cake left.

In my head I was hoping he would take the whole thing, so when he only took a piece I was puzzling over what to do with the rest of it when Beth showed up to drop something off.  I offered her a piece, and after a little persuasion, she gave in to temptation and left to get a plate and fork from the break room.  As she was returning, I heard movement from a few feet away.

Todd and Beth and I were just commenting on the tastiness of the cake when Dan came around the corner and announced in mock innocence, "I was just picking something up from the printer," as he waved a piece of paper in his hands.  He was obviously sneaking around when Beth was getting her slice, and his thinly veiled printer paper story made us all laugh.  I quickly offered  him some cake since Beth took a mere sliver.

I was just finishing my offering question when Dan blurted out a quick "Yes!" and headed for the break room for a plate and fork.  As he was walking out of the break room, he ran into Erda.  Since he didn't know if I wanted to share any more of my cake, and since Erda is known for his love of food in large quantities, Dan again waved his piece of paper at Erda and again stated obnoxiously, "I was just picking something up from the printer."

But the printer was no where near the break room, and Dan was walking out with an empty plate and fork, so Erda decided to follow him back to his desk in hopes of discovering what was really going on.  This made Todd and I laugh through our mouthfuls of cake (we heard the whole interchange through the cubicle walls). Dan quickly broke down and headed back to my desk for his serving with Erda hard on his heels.  I offered some cake to Erda (since Dan was also conservative with his portion and there was still a quarter of the cake left), but Erda refused claiming he was "full."  Unusual for Erda, but he mostly stuck to his guns aside from taking a small taste with one fork full.

At this point, I had three guys hanging out at my desk, all eating cake and merrily talking about how good it was.  That's when I noticed that Layne had walked by my desk twice.  Even though it didn't look like he was paying attention to us, I raised my head and asked over the cubicle walls if Layne wanted a piece of cake as well.  Again, I barely had the words out of my mouth before Layne was headed to the break room for a plate and fork.

So now there were five of us all together, standing around eating cake at my desk and still there was a piece left.  How is it that it took five people to eat one "mini" cake?  Especially when two of them took half of it.  None of them took that last piece either.  So I finally broke down and emailed the remaining three people in the office (it was close to quitting time at this point) and offered the last piece to whomever got to my desk first.

Within 15 minutes the cake was finally gone, but not before I got a few photos of the last piece.  What a great way to end the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment