Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Day 68: Up-Close

Dried lavender.

I had so much fun with my family over the last several weeks, and I'm so glad I got to spend time with them!  But during my family reunions, I was overwhelmed a lot.  Amid all the laughter and story telling, sometimes there was too much noise, too many people, not enough sleep, not enough to eat, emotional pressure, or children running everywhere unattended.  It's not really surprising in a group that big.  So every once in a while I would have to remove myself from the group and find a quiet place to be alone and recharge my batteries.  And in those moments when I was alone, I found that I would say one word the moment I found quiet.  Just the one word, whispered to myself once or twice a day, seemed to be my mantra, if you will.  I found my center in that word.  It calmed me more than anything else.

And now that family is gone and I have more quiet than I need, I find that I don't need the word anymore.  But I'm still saying it.  At night, when my head hits the pillow, I say it.  In the morning when I dig myself out of my dreams and into reality, I find that word on my lips.

I guess we all need a happy thought to get us through the tough times, but what's wrong with keeping our happy thoughts around all the time?  Wouldn't it stand to reason that we would be happier for it?  I think so. :)

1 comment:

  1. you arent going to SHARE the word? maybe i already know :)

    ReplyDelete