Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Day 133: Marbled Sky

Sunset

I was trying to get a picture of the cloud trails in the sky with this shot, and although the cloud trails are visible, they are dwarfed by the sunset.  Unexpectedly cool.

I was planning on writing something lame here, to go with what I assumed was a lame shot, but now I'm wondering what to write.  I'm still in a foul mood over this project, but oddly enough, the annoyance I feel is actually fueling me onward instead of spiraling to the pit of despair.

I'm not saying I'm super hyped or anything.  But it's a start.

I still feel like whining about it, but I won't.

Instead, here's this.  A story of how tonight I nearly gave myself a heart attack in a matter of - maybe - 3 seconds.  And I am not exaggerating that time frame.

Just now, as I was trying to type this entry, I heard movement upstairs.  It was just the neighbors stomping around in their house, but because Christine mentioned earlier that she freaked herself out by mistaking the neighbors and our cat for intruders (and because the house is dead quiet and Christine is fast asleep), I immediately thought there was someone in the house.  BUT, before I could remind myself that it was highly unlikely to have intruders, an entire scene played out in my head in a matter of milliseconds.  I saw a killer break in the front door and wander around the living room before sniffing us out,  finding the stairs to the basement and pounding down them so fast as to render escape - or any movement - impossible (as if being cornered in the basement weren't trapped enough).  I saw the killer round the corner to my bedroom and tear down the hallway in a mass of noise and murderous rage.  I saw him fling open my door and head straight for me without a second's hesitation.

The vision was something akin to a scene from 28 Days Later, and my heart rate spiked so quickly from the split-second horror that I felt like I'd been given an electric shock.  I freaked myself out so badly that the air was sucked right out of me.  I found myself staring wide-eyed and horror-struck at the door to my bedroom.  Frozen in fear, unable to move, or even dispel the vacuum in my chest and draw a breath, waiting for the psycho killer with lightning-fast stair skills to come charging around the corner in a bloody, screaming rage...with arms outstretched to rip me in pieces with his bare hands.

A second later my voice of reason caught up with my imagination, and I was able to draw a shaky breath and look away from the door.  Hand over my heart, and chuckling at my ridiculous imagination, I turned back to my computer with suddenly nothing to say.

Now let's see if you can go to sleep without nightmares.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful sunset Val. The sky is awesome. I look at every picture you post. Maybe I should be keeping track and see if I have still checked in every day for a year! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that feeling as I totally freaked myself out right before I went to sleep... it was the combination of the neighbors the laundry and the cat eating.. TOTALLY sounded like someone rumaging in the kitchen (why would any intruder do that! with no thought of stealth)
    Imaginations are Great!(almost like a haunted house ride but BETTER)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jeri! I know you are always checking, and I love that!

    ReplyDelete