Pages

Monday, October 4, 2010

Day 125: Forgotten Treasures

An old house in my neighborhood.

I've been itching to photograph this house for months, but I've never had the guts to do it.  It belongs to a grouchy old farmer in my neighborhood, and I'm always afraid he'll catch me taking pictures on his property and yell at me.  This house is old, and probably condemned, so I shouldn't have been so worried that he'd be hanging around.  Anyway, when I saw it today, it gave me the idea for this week's theme:

Old Things.

I love old things - antiques - and I love the way they photograph, so this week I'll try to include something of the sort in every shot.  I'm excited to see what I find next!

This doorway reminds me of forgotten things, that once found, become treasured or important once again.  Like old journals or photographs that remind us of our past selves.  It usually brings life into perspective again.  We look back on times when we were really struggling, and we can usually say, "I had no idea how bad it was really going to get."  And we can appreciate how strong we are now in comparison.

Sometimes forgotten things are reminders to think outside the norm again.  Ironically, sometimes they help us reset our thinking and look at life with fresh eyes.

1 comment: