Pages

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Day 93: HDR

Yeah, I know.  It's bad.

I found this website today called "I Hate Your HDR" and I thought it was funny.  I read an article they posted a link to, and it got me thinking about HDR and how I've never really been able to pull it off for real (click here to learn more about HDR).  I use the HDR filter often when I post-process my shots, but I've never actually been able to produce a real HDR shot using the three exposures.

So after reading the funny posts of bad HDR photos, I decided to give it a go one more time.  I set up a mediocre shot, and took the three pictures, then uploaded it to my computer and merged them.

First of all, I must have moved the camera just a fraction during the picture taking, because it's a little blurry around the edges.  Secondly, the three exposures combined to make a pretty washed out, drab photo, so I uppped the contrasts and saturation a bit during post processing.

Still, it doesn't look HDR at all.  So I took the normal exposure and I uploaded it to Picnik, and I hit the "HDR-ish" button, and this is how it turned out:


Yeah...I'm just not getting it.  Plus, taking three shots and having to merge them later is a lot more annoying than clicking one button in Picnik.  It's probably good though, because it seems HDR is starting to get a bad name anyway. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment