Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Day 107: Loud Reading

Some books.

Last night I stayed up too late reading.  I was close to the end of my book when it was time to put it away, so I was compelled to ignore my bedtime and finish my book.  Sometime between 1 and 2am I noticed how late it was, but still I plowed on.  I started to notice that I was trying to read very quietly.  I stopped making noises at surprising passages, and I started turning the pages slowly and quietly.  Every time I forgot to turn a page quietly, or when I unintentionally mumbled reactions to the book, I would jerk my head to my sister's bed to make sure I didn't wake her.

Here's the kicker though.  She's still out of town.  I'm so used to being sneaky when I read past my bedtime because I have a roommate.  And because my roommate just happens to wake up at the slightest crinkling noise.

So.  Reason #4 for being alone: Reading loudly.  I can yell at the book when I don't like a passage, or turn the pages as loudly as I'd like, and no one will hear me.

The sad thing is, every time I checked to make sure I didn't wake up Christine, I would get a small stab of disappointment when I realized she wasn't there.

I'm starting to have a hard time finding more positives to being alone. :)

1 comment:

  1. I totally stayed up until 1-2 to finish my book last night too! needless to say i did not get up early to work out but did have time to do taht after my appointment! Im very happy to be heading home!

    ReplyDelete