Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Day 106: No Talkie

Shhhhh.

Reason # 3 of why I like being alone:  No talking

I discovered this reason today when I went to pick up my parents from the airport.  I got used to not talking on my down time - in two days I got used to it.  So during the drive home from the airport, I couldn't seem to keep the conversation rolling.  I tried to think of things to say or ask, but I kept getting distracted by other thoughts that weren't relevant to the conversation, like what I needed to do when I got back to work, or the weird dream I had last night, or the new story I've been toying with, or the hilarious music video I saw on YouTube the other day.

This is a good and a bad thing, not talking.  It's good because I allow myself to just think freely, which usually ends up with epiphanies or remembering something important.  But today was an example of why it's bad.  I get used to not voicing my thoughts way too fast, and then I become a mute who kills conversations in the throats of its victims in mere minutes.

My poor parents.  They were all hyped up on their awesome trip to Alaska, virtually bubbling with stories and happy words.  But ten minutes with me, Debbie Downer, and they soon lost their thunder and any will to continue the conversation.  By the time we got home, the car was a tomb of silence.  I definitely need to watch out and stop myself from repeating that next time.

I tried to apologize later, but a lost conversation - especially one stopped mid-run - is like a regretted comment.  Once it's gone, there's no getting it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment