Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

Day 111: Bips

A bowl for dipping sauces.

There's a story behind this little dish, but first let me introduce this week's theme: Red.

I will be taking photo's with red in them, and highlighting the red.  I'll try to be more versatile in the subjects than I was last week.  I need more shots of people.  But I wanted to not limit myself so much this time, so the only theme this week is Red.

Ok, on to the story behind this picture.

When I was into ceramics painting a few years back, I went to Color Me Mine and painted this little dip bowl.  Let's just get this out in the open now.  I had a temporary moment of dyslexia when I made it.  I did not mean to spell "bips," but rather, "dips."  I planned on writing "dips" in the bottom so people would know what it was for, and not try to use it for something stupid, like a spoonful of ice cream, or sugar packets.  After I wrote the word in the bottom, I knew something wasn't right about it but I couldn't figure out what it was. I even figured it as far as the first letter, and tried to extend the line up and down the "d" but it still didn't look right.  Finally I gave up, deciding that it was fine, and my eyes were just tired.

It wasn't until I brought the dish home from the store - after they glazed and fired the dish, eternally sealing the words into the bottom - that I realized what was wrong with the word.  I was so mortified that I hid the dish behind all of our unused Tupperware.  Unfortunately for me, someone discovered it (I can't remember the circumstance) and once I admitted to what had happened, my roommates had a good laugh at my expense (I really don't blame them).  After that, I decided to own my mistake and see it for how funny it was.  I proudly displayed it on our kitchen table for a while, and we all got a good chuckle from it for a few weeks before the humiliation took over again and I hid it once more.

Now the poor thing is tucked away in my mom's china cabinet - mainly because we don't have much use for it.  And even though I still see how funny it is, every once in a while I get a flush of embarrassment when I see the dish.

Oh, the joys of stupid mistakes.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the bips dish! I always have, even from the moment you brought it home. Mostly it has character and is a good reminder that as much as I believe I am the only dyslexic, mistake making person on the planet, on rare occasions others join my ranks. Thanks Val, I love that you shared this story, when I saw the title of this post I was very excited!

    ReplyDelete