Pages

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Day 176: A Roadtrip of Epic Proportions

My car's silhouette in the sunset.

So...the most interesting day.  We left for Washington (state) at 4am, the usual time.  We checked the weather before we left to make sure we were clear of the "storm," and we packed the car to the brim with provisions in case we got stuck by the weather.  We were prepared.

Then, on the border of Utah and Idaho we got suck on a closed freeway for 4 hours.  I have no idea why it was closed, but they had it scheduled for closure until 8am.  Too bad they didn't actually open it until 11am.

Frustrated as we were at the huge loss in time, we carried on, hoping we wouldn't be too late to get to our destination before sunset.  We were doing fairly well until my tire blew outside of Boise.  Luckily for Christine and I we were able to pull over quickly before the rim got damaged.  We had to fish through our tightly packed car to reach the spare tire in the back, and then when we got it out with the jack we realized we were missing a part.  It was nothing we couldn't handle though...we made do with what we had.  We got that baby changed in about 20 minutes, which we were pretty proud of considering our circumstances!  When we got to Boise, we started shopping for a tire place to get a replacement for the doughnut.

I'm not sure why, but every single citizen of Boise decided that today was a great day to get their snow tires installed for the season.  We found 3 tire stores within a mile of each other, and they all had a 2 hour wait.  We were blessed to get the nicest technician at one tire store who managed to push us up to the front of the line, but gave us the bad news that my tires aren't in stock.  Also, because my car is all wheel drive, I can't just replace one tire, I have to replace at least 2.  And, since they didn't have my tire, I had to replace all 4.

So..one hour and $700 later, we were back on the road to Washington.  We didn't leave Boise until 4pm, when we're usually in the middle of Oregon by Noon...so frustrating!  Once we left Idaho, we had no problems and made it to Vic and Mona's house in record time (for how long we had to go).

I officially hate Idaho.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! You guys are superstars for enduring that. I would have had a nervous breakdown! I'm just glad your safe. Hope you guys had fun and praying for a safe journey home. Love u!

    ReplyDelete