Pages

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Day 221: The Keys

My piano.

It's old and scratched, and a little out of tune, but I love this piano.  I remember the day we got it.  I was so excited to have a REAL piano and not have to try and play with our dumb Casio keyboard.  When we first got it, and after it had been tuned, I would play it all the time.  I didn't know many songs (I still don't) because I dropped out of piano lessons after only 2 years, but I would play those few songs over and over again, reveling in the feel of the keys as I pushed them down and the feel of the pedals.

Now this poor thing sits in our basement.  It hardly ever gets used because no one in my family really plays the piano very well.  I'm really the only one who tinkers around on it every now and then.  It still brings me comfort to play this piano.  When I'm stressed or anxious, I'll come down stairs and play one of the few tunes I still remember.  Or sometimes when I'm feeling ambitious, I'll plunk out new ones from a hymn book or an old piano lesson book that's lying around.  I'm glad my parents never sold it.

No comments:

Post a Comment